Come winter or summer the Algarve brims with activity, making it one of our favourite all-year-round holiday destinations. From the beautiful beaches to the buzzing bars and the cultural cities to the curving coastline, here’s a run-down of just the top ten reasons why we all love the Algarve so much:
1. Easy Access - As loads of low-cost airlines flying into Faro airport from a range of European cities, the Algarve is one of the most accessible destinations around. Just a short flight and you can be sunning yourself under clear blue skies….
2. Seamless Sunshine - With over 300 days of seamless sunshine per year, the Algarve’s climate is one of its biggest attractions. Rarely reaching extreme temperatures, this balmy Mediterranean clime is wonderful for sun-bathing, water-sports or simply wandering around and basking in the sunshine.
3. Beautiful Beaches - A total of 74 blue flag beaches recorded last year, the Algarve has some of the best beaches in Europe. Head to the western coast to discover the most beautiful beaches where the golden sand is soft and fine and the water is sparklingly clear.
4. Curving Coastline - With over 140 km of scenic coastline, the Algarve is a great place for exploration. Amble along a coastal trail to admire the local flora and fauna and you will see what all the fuss is about.
5. Glorious Golf - A golfer’s dream and one of the world’s premier golfing destinations, the Algarve has around 30 top-class courses, academies and clubs, all with first-rate facilities.
6. Delicious Food - The Algarve has a range of delicious gastronomy, with most international cuisines represented. Our favourite however, has to be the traditional local dishes and the fresh catch of the day. From simple tapas to sumptuous lobster, the Algarve has it all.
7. Mouth-Watering Wine - With tantalising tastings and winery tours, the Algarve grape is starting to feel the fervour, gaining international acclaim and winning awards. From hearty reds to delicate whites and rosés, the wonders of the Algarve wines await your discovery…
8. Colourful Countryside - From the white-washed villages and and luscious green rolling hills of Monchique to the rugged coastline of Costa Vicentina, the Algarve is full of colourful countryside making it the beautiful beach-side location that it is today.
9. A Carefree Ambiance - People in Europe are renowned for having a laid-back attitude but nowhere is this more true than the Algarve. With a carefree ambience and friendly people, the Algarve is one of our favourite places to soak up the chilled-out atmosphere.
10. A Continental Culture - Being in Europe, you don’t have to experience that bamboozled feeling of culture-shock so familiar to us all. With locals speaking Potuguese, English, Spanish, French and German, the Algarve warmly welcomes its international visitors.
by Fiona Butler, MyDestinationAlgarve